Course Title : Diploma Course in Special Education (Dip.SE)
For whom (target group) : This is a structured and comprehensive Diploma program for all those who wish to study and obtain the advanced body of knowledge (BOK) and training in the many theories and principles of Special Needs Education. This is an essential course of study for practicing pre-school, primary and secondary school teachers, special education teachers, trainee teachers, assistant teachers and teacher aides, social workers, child care and child protection workers and officers and other teacher training and psychology students who want to broaden their theoretical knowledge and practical skills in the field of special eduction. This course is also suitable for those who wish to embark on further academic and/or professional studies and practical training in the field of General Psychology, Infant, Child and Adolescent Psychology and Mental Health, Teacher Training, Educational Psychology, Education Management and Pedagogy in Sri Lanka or abroad.
This course explains why people with disabilities deserve respect rather than pity in their quest for full engagement in school and post school life, why special education should be mandated by policy and law to meet the education needs of students with disabilities, how its goals are affected by the nation’s commitment to equalize educational opportunities for this group of learners, the revolutionary basis of these equal opportunity goals, why an equalized educational experience should empower students with disabilities to be self-determined at school and beyond, and how current practice falls far short of these equal rights expectations.
This course is also ideal for other teachers wanting to update their professional knowledge and skills in this area, classroom assistants seeking more knowledge about the special needs field and parents trying to understand how best to argue for equal opportunities.
Flexible Entry Requirements: University Graduates in any discipline or Members of recognized Professional bodies, or School Teachers or Montessori / Assistant Teachers, or Professional / Academic Diploma or Advanced / Higher (National) Diploma holders or Holders of a Certificate / Diploma in Child Psychology, ECE, ECD, Teacher Training, Education, Montessori Teacher Training, Psychology or Counselling, and G.C.E. O/L or A/L’s and age not less than 21 years, and Fluency of the English language is essential.
Course Duration : 16 weeks (4 Months) – part time study
Contact Hours : 3 Hrs. per week
Total No. of Classes : 16 class-contact sessions
Total No. of Contact Hours : 48 Hrs. of Lectures and discussion time
Class Times : Thursdays: 3.00 p.m. to 6.00 p.m.
- History and Principles of Special Education (8 Hrs.)
- Teaching Children with Special Needs (10 Hrs.)
- Autism and Autism Management (12 Hrs.)
- Learning Disabilities and ADHD (8 Hrs.)
- Teaching Children with Down Syndrome (6 Hrs.)
- Other Developmental Disabilities and Birth Defects (4 Hrs.)
Mode of Final Examination and Assessment:
The award of the IMH Diploma in Special Education will be contingent upon passing a 3-hour internally set unseen essay type final Examination paper to be answered on a closed book examination mode under invigilation at the Institute premises in Colombo-04.
Regular Group Course Fees: Rs. 47,000/- + Rs. 1,000/- for registration (the full course fee of Rs. 48,000/- can now be paid in two installments of Rs. 30,000/- followed by the second payment of Rs. 18,000/- in two months time to be paid by cash, credit card or cheque)
Distance Learning / On-Line Course Fees: USD $160 (for foreign students and other child development professionals and teachers living out of the Western Province in Sri Lanka will be considered on a case-by-case basis).
Course Accreditation-1: This course is fully accredited by the Accredited Counsellors, Coaches, Psychotherapists and Hypnotherapists (ACCPH), UK
Course Accreditation-2: This course is fully endorsed and accredited by the International Association of Therapists (IAOTH), Ireland.
Next Course Start Date: Group Class: Thursday 26th May 2022 (A maximum of 10 students will be enrolled for the group class due to Covid-19 public health guidelines)
Course Resource Persons:
1. Prof. Sir Romesh Jayasinghe, OLS, Ph.D.(Psy.), Dh.C.(Florida), Grad.Dip.Ed.(UK), FRSM(UK), FRSPH(UK), FACCPH(UK), FTBCCT (UK), MBCS(UK), Adv.Dip.(Psychology), Adv.Dip.(Child Psychology), Dip.(Educational Psychology), Dip.(Child Psychology), Dip.(Nutrition Science), Educator / Trainer, Psychotherapist, Certified Clinical Trauma Specialist (USA), Certified Trauma Support Specialist (USA), Certified Master Life Coach (USA), Certified Clinical Hypnotherapist (ICBCH, USA), Certified Nutritionist (UK), Certified Diplomate in Children’s Mental Health (UK), Certified in Child & Adolescent Counselling (UK), Certified Relationship Coach (CPR, USA), Certified Coach in Self-Esteem Elevation for Children (USA), Health and Wellness Coach (USA), Member of the Association for Child and Adolescent Mental Health (ACAMH), UK
2. Ms. Maya Dissanayake, M.Sc., CLC, Child Development and Child Education Specialist
3. Ms. Huda Jameel, Dip.(Spl. Ed.) Dip.CAP(SL) Dip.Psy.C.(SL) Dip.Ed.Psy.(SL) Dip.(Montessori-AMI)