Diploma in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
Course Title : Diploma Course in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (Dip.CBT)
For whom (target group) : Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) has emerged as one of the most effective treatments for a wide range of psychological problems. By helping a client understand how their thoughts, feelings, and behaviors interact to maintain faulty patterns of thinking, CBT assists them in developing a more constructive approach to problem-solving and life in general. There are many professional opportunities for those with qualifications in this field.
This course provides a comprehensive overview of the theory underlying CBT, the counseling skills that underpin good therapeutic practice and how to implement specific CBT techniques in the treatment of depression, anxiety, eating disorders, insomnia, addictions, relationship problems and other common mental health problems.
Requirements: Graduates in Public Health, Psychology or Social Work, Medical doctors, Occupational Therapists, Nurses and other healthcare practitioners or professionals who are holders of a Certificate / Diploma or HND in Psychology, Social Work, Clinical Psychology, Counselling Psychology or Counselling, and G.C.E. O/L or A/L’s and age not less than 21 years, and Fluency of the English language is essential.
Course Duration : 17 weeks (4.5 Months) – part time study
Contact Hours : 2.5 Hrs. per week
Total No. of Classes : 17 class-contact sessions (17 weeks duration)
Total No. of Contact Hours : 42 Hrs. of Lectures and discussion time
Class Times : Thurdays: 4.30 p.m. to 6.30 p.m.
Individual Fast-Track Class: Flexible (3 or 4 hours per week – on weekdays only)
What you will learn:
- The theory behind Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), its indications and its contraindications.
- The basics of behavioral neuroscience, the link between the nervous system and behavior and how a grounding in this field will help you become a more effective CBT practitioner.
- The key ideas underlying three distinct types of CBT therapy – Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), Behavioral Therapy (BT), and Cognitive Analytic Therapy (CAT) – and an overview of the techniques used by practitioners of each approach.
- How CBT practitioners approach the therapy process and how they make use of materials that guide them in helping their clients make positive changes to their lives.
- How CBT-E, a special type of CBT developed for use in patients with eating disorders, works in treating eating disorder symptoms and preventing relapse.
- How CBT can be used to improve mood in people with depression and why cognitive distortions are the key to understanding depression.
- How CBT provides individuals with a set of skills that help reduce their stress levels and risk of burnout, how it can be used to cure anxiety disorders, and why it is a good treatment option for insomnia.
- Why relationship difficulties are so common, how couples and families become locked in dysfunctional patterns of relating to one another, and how CBT practitioners can help them take a healthier approach to their relationships.
- What is meant by the term “addiction,” the factors that maintain an addiction, and how a well-structured CBT programme can break the cycles that keep the addiction going.
- What to consider when embarking on a career as a therapist, including how to choose between the private sector and public sector practice and how to meet your obligations under the law.
Course Modules: Part-1: Basic CBT Principles and Techniques
Module 01: The Underlying Principles Behind CBT
Module 02: Basic Counseling Skills
Module 03: Further Counseling Skills
Module 04: Case Formulation, Irrational Beliefs & The ABC Model
Module 05: Planning A CBT Session
Module 06: Basic CBT Techniques
Module 07: Further CBT Techniques
Module 08: Using CBT In The Treatment Of Depression, Anxiety & Phobias
Module 09: Using CBT in The Treatment Of Excessive Anger & Insomnia
Module 10: Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) & Solution-Focused Therapy (SFT)
Course Modules: Part-2: Advanced CBT Concepts and Techniques
Module 01: What is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)?
Module 02: Introduction to Behavioral Neuroscience
Module 03: Acceptance Commitment Therapy (ACT), Behavioral Therapy and Cognitive Analytic Therapy (CAT)
Module 04: The Structure of CBT Therapy
Module 05: Using CBT to Treat Eating Disorders
Module 06: CBT in the Treatment of Depression
Module 07: CBT in the Treatment of Stress and Anxiety
Module 08: How CBT Can Be Used To Improve Relationships
Module 9: How CBT Can Be Used To Treat Addiction
Module 10: Working as a CBT Therapist
Module-11: CBT Clinical Case Studies and Video Case Study Demonstrations
Mode of Final Examination and Assessment
The award of the IMH Diploma in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) will be contingent upon passing a 3-hour internally set unseen essay type final Examination paper to be answered on a closed book examination mode under invigilation at the Institute premises in Colombo-04.
Regular Group Course Fees : Rs. 41,000/- + Rs. 1,000/- for registration (Full course fee of Rs. 42,000/- to be paid by cash, credit card or cheque)
Individual Course Fees : Rs. 89,000/- + Rs. 1,000/- for registration (Could be paid by cash, credit card or cheque in two equal installments of Rs. 45,000/-)
Online / Distance Learning Course Fees : USD $135 (for foreign students and other professionals and healthcare workers living or working out of the Western Province in Sri Lanka will be considered on an individual case-by-case basis).
Next Course Start Date: Group Class: Thursday 03rd December 2020 (A maximum of 8 students will be enrolled for the group class due to covid-19 health guidelines)
Individual Class: On a mutually agreeable timetable schedule – date and time (to be decided jointly by the participant and the resource person).
Course Accreditation: This course is fully accredited by the Accredited Counsellors, Coaches, Psychotherapists and Hypnotherapists (ACCPH), UK
Resource Person: Dr. Sir Romes Jayasinghe, OLS, Ph.D.(Psy.), Dh.C.(Florida), Grad.Dip.Ed.(UK), FRSM(UK). FRSPH(UK), FACCPH(UK), FTBCCT(UK), Educator / Trainer, Psychotherapist, Certified Master Life Coach (USA), Certified Clinical Hypnotherapist (ICBCH, USA), Certified Advanced CBT Therapist (UK), Diploma in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), UK, Diploma in Dialectical Behavior Therapy (UK), Certified Relationship Coach (CPR, USA), Certified NLP Practitioner (USA), Health Coach (UK), Certified Nutritionist (UK), Nutritional Therapist (UK)